Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sikkim:Early April - Itinerary help

Hello,



I%26#39;m planning a trip to Sikkim in the first half of April and seek your help in firming up the itinerary. Here%26#39;s the tentative plan I have in mind; am listing my questions at the end:





Sat night - sun morn - Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri by train, reaching NJP at 8am, Sunday



Sunday Morn - NJP to Gangtok by taxi



Sunday afternoon - Walk around Gangtok



Monday - Gangtok to Lachung by road - stay at Lachung



Tuesday - Visit Yumthang valley, hotsprings and Katoa. Back to Lachen; spend the night at Lacheng



Wednesday - Visit Gurundongmar Lake and return to gangtok. by evening



Thursday - Gangtok - Tsongo Lake - Nathula, back to Gangtok



Friday morning- Gangtok Pelling



Friday afternoon - Walk around Pelling, and maybe visit a few monasteries



Saturday morning - Walk around a bit



Saturday afternoon - Pelling to New Jalpaiguri by road



Saturday night - New Jalpaiguri to Calcutta by train







QUESTIONS:





1. I%26#39;m the kind who prefers to go around and ';see all'; during a holiday, rather than just relax and laze....but still, am I packing too much into a week? If so, what do you suggest I cut - Yumthang / Gurundongmar / Nathula / Pelling?



2. I want to confirm that Nathula is open on Thursday (April 10th)



3. What are all the permits I (Indian National) would need? Do I need to arrange these in advance? How?



4. Does the Gangtok to Lachung drive take up all day? Or can I finish off either Yumthang or Lake Gurundongmar on the same day?



5. I%26#39;m debating between Kalimpong and Pelling on the way back...which do you suggest, given that I%26#39;ll have one day (Fri afternoon to Sat afternoon) at either place? Are these places ';very different'; from what I%26#39;d have seen in the rest of the trip?



6. Any suggestions on tour operators / hotels are welcome!



7. If I%26#39;m not asking for too much, would be great if you can give a rough idea on how much shared and independent taxis would cost for these trips.





Appreciate your help, and thanks for reading this longish post!



Regards,



JK





PS-%26gt; I%26#39;ve posted this on IndiaMike too, so apologies if you see this on both!



Sikkim:Early April - Itinerary help


Appreciate any help on this!



Thanks,



- JK

No comments:

Post a Comment