Sunday, April 4, 2010

travellers cheques

hello! wondered if anyone could help, i go to Goa on Saturday and ive left it a little too late to open a nationwide flexiaccount, so now im thinking of travellers cheques, where am i best getting these from and is it the next best thing? im worried as between me and my boyfriend we%26#39;re taking £1000 so is it the safest option with such a large amount of money? any feedback appreciated!



travellers cheques


I%26#39;d probably take a mixture of cash and travellers cheques (in sterling). You can also use other cashcards in the ATMs in Goa - it doesn%26#39;t have to be a Nationwide one, just that Nationwide gives you the best rates.



travellers cheques


thankyou for that! i was told Nationwide dont charge for withdrawals abroad, thats why we were going to open the account, do you know at all what the average charge is for using cashcards abroad?



Im tempted to take maybe £500 travellers cheques and £500 cash as ive been reading up and alot of places charge to change them back so if i take only £500 worth of travellers cheques we%26#39;ll probably manage to get thru them so we wont be charged when we get back? does this sound a good idea you reckon?




Sounds very sensible to me. I can%26#39;t remember what my last bank used to charge, but I have a feeling it was a minimum of £2 however little I withdrew, and then a commission charge on top of that. It was pretty outrageous, so TCs are probably a better bet.




Hi trixxi - I got my travellers cheques on Saturday from Tesco. Cost me a tenner to change 800 quid to sterling TC, there%26#39;s nothing more to pay when they buy them back and you get clubcard points on them.




Trixxi, I%26#39;ve never been charged for changing sterling travellers cheques back - you can just pay them into your bank accout. You can get them from loads of places, the post office keep them in stock but I found the commission was slightly less from my own bank.




It was 1.25% from Tesco. I asked Thomas Cook where we booked how much it would cost to change £800 and it would have been £24 if we%26#39;d not booked with them and £12 cos we had. Still cheaper at Tesco. You probably can get cheaper, but I like the fact you get clubcard points too :)




If you think that you might need your atm card on holiday just let your bank know. When I was on holiday I couldn%26#39;t get any money out but someone told me that when you are in india it is to stop your cards being used over there and kloning. By letting them know they can unlock it and allow you access. This is for your own protection all you have to do is phone the number on the back of your card you can use this number if you are out there also.(Some cards work some don%26#39;t)




I did not realise you could get tesco points that is worth knowing. I never spend them in store they are worth 4 times value off hols and days out. Did you have to buy them over the phone. I didnt think our local store sells them so may need to do it on phone . Thanks




thankyou so much for all the replies! been doing a bit of searching and found Natwest sell TC%26#39;s and its 1% so as my other halfs with Natwest we may get them from there!


Can i ask did you buy the tescos TC%26#39;s in store?




Hi trixxi - yes I did buy them in store, very quick and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment