Sunday, April 4, 2010

safety in goa

hi everyone!





Me and my boyfriend are due to go to goa (staying at the sunvillage in arpora) on the 22 dec, it is a while away yet but really looking forward to it....only thing im worried about is the recent media coverage, most of you will know what im talking about. Some of the news reports are saying it is wise to only stick to excursions and not venture too far out the hotel!! i hope thats not the case as our sole purpose for going to goa is to explore!..





i suppose by writing this post im just looking for some reassurance on how fabulous goa is and how safe it is?





thanks guys,





nat xx





safety in goa


Nat





Take no notice. I%26#39;m leaving for Goa in a few days, on my own, and feel totally comfortable. It%26#39;s my first time and I will probably be safer there than I do travelling home from work at night here! All one needs to do is to adopt the same caution that one would here in the UK, don%26#39;t do anything silly and keep your wits about you.



safety in goa


Hi Nat - I see you come from Liverpool. I%26#39;d have said that Goa was a much safer place than Liverpool (or London come to that), and that you just need to take the usual precautions that you would take anywhere. Don%26#39;t take drugs, don%26#39;t get drunk alone or with strange men, don%26#39;t wear ostentatious jewellery - all the usual stuff. I%26#39;ve been to Goa many times, on my own and with the other half, and I can honestly say I%26#39;ve never felt even uncomfortable, never mind threatened. Travelling around was never a problem. It%26#39;s the same anywhere. Most people are absolutely fine, but there%26#39;s always the tiny minority that make it difficult for others.




Couldn%26#39;t agree more. Been many times both as a couple and on my own (I%26#39;m female). Do not stay in your hotel. There%26#39;s no need and you%26#39;ll miss everything about the place that makes it so wonderful. I personally feel safer there than here but of course use your common sense - there are bad eggs anywhere. The majority of people in Goa are wonderful. There are some areas that have a reputation for late parties and the drug culture but that doesn%26#39;t apply everywhere and can be avoided quite easily. Go out and enjoy !




Nat, as others have said nowhere is totally safe but by not venturing far out of your hotel and only sticking to excursions you will miss out on so much in Goa. On my first trip to Goa I had my handbag snatched off my shoulder on the 2nd night by two men on a motorbike but it was partly my own fault for walking along with it dangling from my shoulder late at night. It didn%26#39;t put me off returning the following year and now I either wear a bum bag or give my money to my partner. Taxis are cheap and plentiful so you can easily get out and about on a night without walking far anyway. During the day i%26#39;ve walked for miles along the beach in south Goa on my own and felt totally safe. Just take sensible precautions and I%26#39;m sure you will have a fantastic holiday.




Thanks guys, im sure i will be fine im sensible enough and me and my boyfriend never leave eachothers side anyway lol,




Hi





Bag snatching has been back again this season.Its getting regular each year now.Never used to be. Sorry but Goa is not now the former idyllic paradise of its reputation and post card pictures.Now you have to be sensible,or be cautious.Unfortunately these sort of things always get worse never better.




As most posters say, common sense and normal precautions should suffice, but to ';take no notice'; as Cazzamoon suggests is just irresponible.



Some people would argue that the mother of Scarlett Keeling ';took no notice'; regarding her daughter%26#39;s safety.




We%26#39;re also on our first visit to Goa this April - some very wise advice already mentioned!





There is/can be trouble ANYWHERE! I spent a week in Nice with a couple of girlfriends back in 2003. I was in the room reading but my two girlfriends were sunbathing across the road on the beach.





As they crossed back to our hotel they pressed the pedestrian crossing button (much like the green man in the UK!). Traffic lights turned red - a family car stopped and a motorbike pulled alongside - bike opened the family car door and grabbed the Mums handbag and drove off at speed!





Just be vigilant - don%26#39;t flash the cash or jewellery. Crime can happen anywhere but you are much less prone to it if you keep your whits about you.





We are really looking forward to our first visit to Goa.





Have fun!





GT



x




thanks guys, i think we will stick with goa then. as mentioned we have already booked the north, would you say south was better? also im wondering about what clothes/attire to wear when out and about? obviously i dont want to attract the wrong kind of attention lol, but i dont want to be covered from head to toe either!!! what do you suggest??




Hi Natalie





Personally I prefer the south as it%26#39;s quieter than the north but if you want more nightlife you%26#39;re better in the north. I believe Arpora is fairly quiet anyway though it%26#39;s within easy reach of the nightlife of Baga and Calangute. Regarding what to wear I just wear the same sort of clothes as I would on any beach holiday whilst I%26#39;m in the resort but you%26#39;ll need to cover up a bit more if you%26#39;re visiting temples etc. Also please don%26#39;t go topless whilst you%26#39;re in Goa.

No comments:

Post a Comment